Contact Webmaster

Please send any questions or comments to
Thank you!

Morris Inn with and without third floor

Consider the building we now call the Morris Inn, as it appeared about 1865, when the village of Morris had not yet been incorporated and was referred to as Louisville. It had only two floors. All the buildings to the west of it were made of wood. On Sept. 8, 1883 one of the buildings caught fire and the whole row was swept away.

Ken Cooke thought this may have been taken about 1861.

John N. Daniels, Survivor of Andersonville Prison

War Reminiscences
J.N. Daniels of Morris
Company C, 152d Regiment NY Volunteer Infantry
A survivor of the battlefield and the horrors of Andersonville
These installments appeared in the Morris Chronicle from April 13 through Sep 14 1904

They were transcribed and collected at the link below.

A Morris Crew Goes to the North Woods at Burnt Rock Camp, Beaver River, NY

Scroll down beyond the clipping and the map to get to the links to the newspaper pages.

Read all four columns written about this fall 1905 trip to the North Woods near Beaver River by a group from Morris, NY.

Perhaps 1907? The Norridewock Inn.

Bank building, Falls and Yates Store

Attached - Morris Chronicle in 1894 summary of the year of 1893, mentions founding of bank and dissolving of Falls and Yates store, so the photo is 1893 or earlier.

Description of the bank from National Register application.

High St, 25

Two-story, frontal-gable frame house with steeply pitched roof and regular fenestration plan. Glazed porch located
on east wall, flush with front facade, and open entrance porch with squared, battered supports on shingled kneewalls on asymmetrically placed main doorway; three-sided bay window on west wall. House has vinyl siding, vinyl replacement windows one over one sash in all openings; and a parged concrete foundation. These recent finished conceal or may replace historic ones.
Built ca.l880


Subscribe to Morris, New York RSS